Pages

Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Aging in Place--I'm just not paying enough attention...

Today at the YMCA, I overheard two older women talking about a BuzzFeed article on Aging in Place. The article talked about having a community center that allowed the local residents to age in place. They were talking about the need for such a resource in their neighborhood (Candler Park). I know so much about the Metro Atlanta aging services, yet I could not think of how our current services and supports could seamlessly coordinate an effort like this for one neighborhood. I must not be paying enough attention. There must be models, ideas and organizations (NAIPC, NORC?) ready to take on such a community. The National office for the NAIPC is creating an aging in place center in conjunction with StonyBrook University in New York. Maybe a model like that? Maybe a model like the Toco Hills NORC? These ideas seemed so hypothetical to me until this overheard conversation today. Why? The need is there, yet I've only been in practice with individuals facing advanced and terminal illnesses. There is a huge gap in my knowledge, and I feel so motivated to open my eyes and learn more about caring for those just entering the aging process.

As my mind pondered the needs of a small community like Candler Park, I pictured a small team of skilled providers making house checks, errand-runs, doctor coordinations, etc., sort of like a geriatric care manager and house manager shared by several (maybe 12?) households. How would that be funded? How do you define the scope of services? Must be like a NORC... So much to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment